Top 3 Negotiating Tips (… and where to find more!)
We find that many of our clients have fallen into a common trap: a poorly negotiated contract. Whether it’s a lease or a laser, computer software or private skincare, a poorly negotiated deal will absolutely work against you.
In order to avoid the damage a poorly negotiated contract can bring, always keep in mind the following three items:
- Make sure the details are all spelled out ahead of time in the contract… and make sure you ask for more than is initially brought to the table. For example, with vendors, spell out samples, financing, rebates, the details of returning products, cooperative advertising, shipping/handling and more.
- Do your due diligence. This includes not only knowing the level of authority you’re dealing with but the facts behind your requests. When it comes to a strong negotiation, the more facts you bring to the table, the more power you have. Know that facts will always beat opinion, so those facts are key.
- Don’t be afraid to walk away from the deal. If you’re not able to secure exactly what makes sense for you, don’t hesitate to move on. And let the other party know that.
For more information on what you can negotiate into your new lease, how you can increase the value of what’s included from your vendors… and more, check out these articles from our founder and managing partner, Jay Shorr:
- Here in “How to Negotiate with Vendors” in Skin Inc. magazine
- Here in “What to Negotiate” in MedEsthetics magazine (a key articles for anyone looking to sign new equipment or leasing space)
- Here in “Top 6 Negotiating Tips” in Plastic Surgery Practice magazine
And remember, we’re always happy to help you with your negotiation needs.
Follow us on Twitter: @TheBestMBS
Follow us on Facebook: Facebook.com/TheBestMBS